Thursday, September 13, 2007

Open-Ended Question…How do you deal with frustration?

In this era of the Internet, YouTube, consumerism and 24-hour “Christian” TV networks, the Truth is under attack from every angle and at every moment of the day. While I strive to do my earthly duties and spend time in my walk with God, I find myself constantly upset by the mangling of Jesus’ truth and even His name throughout our culture. Deceivers like Joel Osteen (who I just found out has never attended seminary, and has one semester of undergraduate education to his famous name) and others lead people astray, and while I pray for those people and for God’s work to be done, I constantly feel as if it is my personal duty to spend time against these deceptive leaders.

What I’m looking for from my readers is: How do you deal with this frustration? What is your reaction when you hear Word Faith speakers and Universal Salvation peddlers broadcast to an audience of millions? What would He have us do in these situations?

I might have a little more time than many of you out there (young, no kids, no house), so I have time to ponder these things instead of tending to a family or mowing the lawn! That being the case, there aren’t enough hours in the day to go around correcting erroneous blogs and commenting of heretical YouTube videos…

Looking forward to your comments!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the link. I think we best deal with the false teaching by continuing to stand firm in the faith proclaiming truth and exposing error when it is found.

Blessings,

David McCrory
The Reformed Puritan

Jason L. said...

David,

I agree wholeheartedly, and that's the problem! There is SO MUCH error and so many avenues by which is spread, that I don't know where to begin, let alone how to prioritize the false teachings.

I grieve for the deceived, and I pray that God grants us strength to wade through this world.

Thanks for the comment, David.

Anonymous said...

Jason -

As with most things in the Christian life, I think that there's a balance that needs to be struck. One is certainly called to "contend for the faith" while at the same time clinging to God's sovereignty and His ultimate authority over all teachers, whether true or false. So, choose your battles and have faith in God to take care of the rest.

Personally, I do this through prayer -- that false teachers would be silenced or that their hearts would be miraculously changed for all the world to see.

My other advice would be to take caution to contend without being contentious. We must lovingly rebuke, always being mindful of our own sinfulness and lack of complete understanding of the things of God. Some error is obvious and needs to be rejected outright. But, other "error" that we perceive may be a reflection of our own lack of understanding. So, prioritize things by what you can clearly show as error by the plain teaching of Scripture vs. those things that challenge you personally to dig deeper into the Word.

I hope this helps!

Blessings,

Rich

Jason L. said...

Up early again, Rich :-)

Thank you for the comment. I realize that my knowledge about God is in its infantile stages, and as I grow in it, I see His awesome will being worked out right in front of me.

Thanks for your contribution!

Jason